Motor Vehicle Citations

Speeding tickets and other moving violations may have civil court or criminal court implications. Even a relatively minor citation should be taken seriously. Points on your driving record can accumulate faster than you think, and before you know it you could be facing steep increases in insurance premiums and possibly be in danger of losing your driving privileges. That is why it is important to seek advice from an experienced lawyer about how best to proceed.

Bedford-Concord criminal defense attorney Peter G. DeGelleke has been practicing law in Massachusetts for more than 35 years. He understands how important it is to defend against motor vehicle citations. To schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your situation, complete an online contact form or call 781-275-0800.

How To Respond to a Traffic Offense Citation

Motor vehicle citations can involve either criminal or civil charges, or both. If you have not been arrested, but the box marked criminal application is checked, you must follow the instructions on the back of the citation in order to request a hearing before the Clerk-Magistrate. It is ALWAYS advantageous to request a hearing, because some cases can be resolved at that stage without going before a judge.

If all civil infractions are checked, you have the option to either pay the listed fines or request a hearing. If you want to contest the civil charges, you must follow the instructions on the back in order to get a hearing. IN EITHER SITUATION, IF YOU REQUEST A HEARING, BE SURE THAT YOU MAKE A COPY OF THE CITATION AND SEND IT IN BY CERTIFIED MAIL TO THE PROPER ADDRESS WITH A RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED. Criminal applications are sent to the local District Court and civil citations go to the Registry. Both addresses are on the citation.

Contact an Attorney If You Have Been Accused of a Traffic Violation

Attorney Peter G. DeGelleke is committed to providing excellent personal service to help his clients navigate the criminal justice system. When you hire him to defend you, he will devote his full attention to your case. Attorney DeGelleke will never delegate responsibility for your defense to a paralegal or a less-experienced attorney without your permission. Complete an online contact form or call at 781-275-0800 to set up a free initial consultation.